Connacht’s dismal run in Glasgow continues

Glasgow Warriors 35
Connacht 24

CONNACHT’S DISMAL RUN in Glasgow continued as they went down to defeat, conceding a try bonus to a late try, despite finishing the game facing 14 men after Tim Swinson, the home lock, saw red for a swinging left-arm smash on a player in green.

The frustration for the Irish was that they had all looked so good. The first half was just about perfect as Connacht frustrated their Scots hosts with their ability to keep the ball for long periods and strike when the chances came. By refusing to kick into the wind, they had about 80% possession and a lead to take into the break.

They did not have to wait long for the opening try, as Craig Ronaldson found a path through the Glasgow defence with his offload putting Niyi Adeolukun, the wing, in for the opening score.

Glasgow do have the strike weapons to punish any team and after Finn Russell, the Scotland fly half, had put them on the board with a penalty, Stuart Hogg created space down the wing and though he was caught, they recycled the ball until Corey Flynn, the hooker, barged his way over.

Connacht’s response was simply to make sure Glasgow’s big threats never saw the ball as they recycled and recycled. A lot of it was in their own half but they did break out twice, earning a penalty, kicked by Ronaldson, and then putting Andrew Brown, the lock, through a hole to lay on a try for John Muldoon, the captain and No8.

They were slightly fortunate to win a penalty to increase their lead shortly after the break, but Glasgow hit back with Scotland halfback partners Ali Price and Russell putting the latter over. A high-tackle yellow card for Jack Carty added to Connacht woes as Price nipped over to stretch the home lead.

A red card for a swinging arm going into a ruck for Tim Swinson, the home lock, gave Connacht late hope with Ronaldson kicking two penalties to bring them in range but Sean Lamont, the Glasgow wing, who had announced his retirement in the week, had the final word with the bonus point try to seal the result.

Glasgow Warriors: Stuart Hogg (Peter Murchie, 66); Sean Lamont, Nick Grigg, Peter Horne (C), Rory Hughes; Finn Russell (Alex Dunbar, 55′), Ali Price (George Horne, 66); Alex Allan (Gordon Reid, 52′, Alex Allan, 66′), Corey Flynn (Fraser Brown, 52′), Sila Puafisi (D’Arcy Rae, 52′), Tim Swinson (red card: 66′), Brian Alainu’uese, Rob Harley, Matt Smith (Lewis Wynne, 52′), Adam Ashe (Scott Cummings, 66′).

Connacht: Tiernan O’Halloran; Niyi Adeolokun, Bundee Aki, Craig Ronaldson (Tom Farrell, 66′), Stacey Ili; Jack Carty (yellow card: 54′-64′), Kieran Marmion (John Cooney, 26′-39′, 55′); Denis Buckley (Ronan Loughney, 68′), Tom McCartney (Dave Heffernan, 52′), Finlay Bealham (Dominic Robertson-McCoy, 53′), Quinn Roux, Andrew Browne (James Cannon, 66′), Sean O’Brien (Naulia Dawai, 61′), Jake Heenan, John Muldoon (C).

Referee: Ian Davies (Wales)

Attendance: 7,251

The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!