Mercedes boss Toto Wolff says that all signs are pointing towards a return to action of Pascal Wehrlein next weekend in Bahrain.
After missing the season-opening F1 round in Melbourne, the Sauber driver and Mercedes protégé was once again missing from the grid in Shanghai, perhaps much to the Swiss outfit’s chagrin as replacement Antonio Giovinazzi crashed heavily twice in China!
Wehrlein remained in Europe last week, upgrading his fitness after a back injury sustained earlier this year in the Race of Champions.
- More apologies from Giovinazzi after Shanghai race smash
In China, Wolff denied raging speculation the 22-year-old is actually caught up in a political dispute involving Sauber’s engine supplier Ferrari.
“Pascal is training and doing weights, preparing himself as much as possible for Bahrain,” Wolff, told the DPA news agency.
“I am only hearing good things about it — that he is feeling better and stronger. At the moment, everything is pointing at him sitting in the car in Bahrain.”
Click Here: habitat tord boontje
Should the German driver once again fail to return to work, Giovinazzi will likely get a third chance to race with Sauber, but there probably won’t be a fourth if he suffers another costly crash.
GALLERY: All the pictures from Sunday in Shanghai
Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter